4 Potent herbs that help support quality sleep
Many people have difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.
Although drugs are available to aid sleep, natural is always best. Mother nature, has an ability to provide us with all the medicines we need to enable us to be well. Natural alternatives are always recommended as a starting point with mild to severe conditions.
However, each of us choose our approach to managing our dis-eased conditions within our body.
Listed below are four herbs that are proven to improve sleep quality, along with some alternative treatments to aid sleep.
1. Valerian root
Valerian root is a herb that people most commonly use to reduce insomnia. It is available in various forms, including teas, supplements and tinctures.
- Studies have found Valerian root to be a safe natural sleep aid.
- A 2020 review  investigated the efficacy and safety of Valerian root as a treatment for certain sleep disorders. The findings suggest that Valerian root could be beneficial in treating these disorders.
People sometimes use chamomile as a natural remedy for sleeplessness. Chamomile has been used in herbal medicine for centuries for its soothing, therapeutic properties.
If you need help falling asleep at night, or boosting your immune system, and reducing stress, a cup of chamomile tea can help.
This herbal tea ingredient has a light, floral flavor with a hint of natural sweetness!
- A 2017 review  investigated the effects of chamomile on sleep quality in older adults. Participants who received 200 milligrams (mg) of chamomile extract twice daily for 28 days showed significant improvements in sleep quality compared with participants who took a placebo.
Lavender is a popular herb for aiding relaxation and sleep. Studies investigating the effect of lavender on sleep focus on silexan, which is an active substance derived from the lavender plant.
- A 2015 study  showed the effects on anxiety-related restlessness and disturbed sleep.
- Compared to a placebo group, those who took Lavender showed significant reductions in anxiety and significant improvements in sleep. The findings suggest the beneficial effect of silexan in Lavender on sleep is due to its ability to reduce anxiety.
The passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) plant has therapeutic properties. The passionflower helps reduce stress and can be helpful in the treatment of insomnia, anxiety, and depression.
- A 2013 Study investigated the efficacy combination of valerian, passionflower, and Chamomile as a treatment for insomnia.
- Researchers compared the herbal combination with sleep inducing prescription drugs. Both groups demonstrated a significant improvement in the following measures:
- sleep time
- the number of times a person wakes up during sleep and severity of insomnia
Valerian root is beneficial for better sleep at night. Whereas passionflower acts more like a nervous system relaxant, especially helpful for people with high levels of stress or anxiety.
Self-Care First aid Kit: Our Calm range of products, are essential to have in your self-care first aid kit at home and at the office. Natural, organic, therapeutic essential oil products to relieve stress and tension of a nervous system that is on edge.